The already built, undamaged two-story portion of the mall was renovated, and these renovations included changeovers such as the re-branding of Wall To Wall Sound & Video to The Wall and temporary relocation of restaurants such as Wong's Wok. He served as a spy for the colonists, as the British had an alliance with the Native Americans. It boasted a large swimming pool and slide, sand beach, boardwalk, orchestra stand in the center of the pool, bath houses, boats, a dancing pavilion, a merry-go-round and concessions. He died in 1833, and is buried in the Grandview Cemetery in Logan Township. Most of these settlers came from elsewhere in Pennsylvania and from Maryland. This was a vast system of interconnecting trails with alternate routes to be used according to the season. His wife and all but one child perished in a plague in 1747. The pool required three million gallons of water to fill it. Two other area recreational spots also graced our area. The most well known trail and the most important to the settlement and development of our area was the Kittanning Trail. In the late 1800's, Logan Township was the scene for leisure and recreational development, which was aided by the growth of the P.R.R. The hotel operated until 1903, when it was consumed in a forest fire that covered the entire mountaintop. Descendants of Thomas Coleman remain on the Coleman farm in north western Logan Township. Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust,, "New York companies buy Logan Valley Mall", "Sears is closing 80 more stores in March, faces possible liquidation". Nela Beach opened in 1923 and was located at Sixteenth Street and Pleasant Valley Boulevard. Altoona was incorporated as a city in 1868. Township of Logan © Copyright 2019 All Rights Reserved, 100 Chief Logan Circle, Altoona, PA 16602 GPS Address: 700 S. 26th Street, GPS Coordinate: W 78º 23’ 55” N 40º 29’ 39”. Between 1825, and 1846, there were seven new iron producing furnaces, six iron forges, and a foundry built in this vicinity. Administration, Sewer Billing, Zoning, Code - Phone: 814-944-5349, Fax: 814-949-3352. The Assembly then chartered the Pennsylvania Railroad to build a railroad between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. Adjacent to the park, a baseball stadium named Blair County Park has been constructed to seat approximately 5,500 people. This was a mountaintop resort complete with a three story hotel, photo gallery, lookout tower, swings, lawn tennis grounds, pavilions, dancing platform, and a two horse coach between the resort and the nearby village of Highland Fling. Lebanon Valley Mall: Lebanon: 50 Lehigh Valley Mall: Fullerton: 1,170,000 sq ft (108,700 m 2) 146 Logan Valley Mall: Altoona: 778,385 sq ft (72,300 m 2) 75 Lycoming Mall: Pennsdale: 834,600 sq ft (77,500 m 2) 59 The Mall at Robinson: Robinson Twp. Our anchor stores are C-A-L Ranch and JCPenney. The source code for the WIKI 2 extension is being checked by specialists of the Mozilla Foundation, Google, and Apple. Logan Valley Mall opened in November 1965 as an open-air shopping center with Sears, [2] Weis Markets and a few small shops. A view of the original portion of The Logan Valley Mall in Altoona, Pennsylvania some time during the 1970s. Early settlers in our area were English, Pennsylvania German, Scot-Irish, and Irish. Transportation to the resort was via a narrow gauge railroad originally called the Altoona and Wopsononock Railroad. Old images of this original 1965 part of the mall are fairly hard to come by, and this portion was destroyed in a 1994 fire which started in the G.C. Blair Furnace was built in 1846 and produced iron mostly with ore from the Frankstown area. The white man treated the chief well, so much that he named his sons after Logan, with the oldest son bearing the name Logan. Two other area recreational spots also graced our area. Thomas Coleman served in the Bedford County Militia during the Revolutionary War. A view of the original portion of The Logan Valley Mall in Altoona, Pennsylvania some time during the 1970s. Shickalemy became friendly with James Logan, the secretary of the then providence of Pennsylvania, whom he met at numerous treaties in Philadelphia. That’s why we offer a wide selection of women’s jeans, tops, dresses, and shoes in sizes 2-24. This area was a favorite of Logan's during his younger years and was known as Logan's Valley. Ivyside Park fell victim to the Great Depression and closed in 1945. Come find your community and new favorite outfit at 5580 Goods Lane in Logan Valley Mall. Logan Valley Mall, Altoona. in Altoona, spurred economic and population growth, not only in the borough, but in Logan Township as well. The last steam engine was produced in Altoona in the 1950's, and Railroad dominance went steadily downhill. The earliest explorers/settlers in the Logan Township area were brothers, Thomas and Michael Coleman. Elias Baker was the owner of the Village of Lakemont during the time he owned Allegheny Furnace. constructed a car erecting shop, a locomotive erecting shop with a foundry, a machine shop, a woodworking shop, and a paint shop between what is now Twelfth and Fourteenth Streets of Altoona. The World Famous Horseshoe Curve opened in 1854, the same year that a portion of Logan Township was incorporated as the borough of Altoona. Police - Emergency Phone: 911, Office Phone: 814-949-3364, Fax: 814-949-3351, Non-Emergency Police Assistance - Phone: 814-940-5952, Highway - Phone: 814-949-3355, Sewer Plant - Phone: 814-943-0146. A major crossroad of the early Native American trails existed in present-day Blair County. Previously, the two, along with a younger brother John, had resided along the west branch of the Susquehanna River. Phase two consisted of opening a new three-story parking garage and a new eight-screen Carmike Cinema. In recent years the upward mobility of our population has increased in the township and declined in the City of Altoona. Development of the P.R.R. It was not in Logan Township, but was crucial to the survival of the residents of the area that is now Logan Township. pushed the Pennsylvania governor into declaring the B & O charter null and void the following year. After 1675, a so-to-speak union of Native American tribes known as the Iroquois Confederacy controlled the wilderness west of the Susquehanna River for use as a trade route and as a buffer zone against encroaching white settlers. The early inhabitants of our area as you can quite imagine were Native Americans. main line was completed in 1858, a traveler could get from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh in about fifteen hours. Actually, we find that Altoona was formed from township land. This fort was not an official military fort, but was built by nearby settlers as a gathering place for protection of families during times of trouble. Logan Valley Mall opened in November 1965 as an open-air shopping center with Sears,[2] Weis Markets and a few small shops. Built in 1963, the Logan Valley Mall was approximately 870,000 square feet with 100 stores, 4 being anchor department stores, and numerous mercantile stands. Logan was educated by Moravians and became a fast friend of the white settlers. made was to set up the politics of the area. Fort Fetter was built in 1777, near where Hollidaysburg is now. One of the important leaders of the Iroquois Confederacy was the Cayaga tribe chief named Shickalemy. This block was the 4.57 square mile area, which included the township section of Whenwood, Fairview, Juniata, East End, Locust Hills, Eldorado, Roselawn, Llynswen, South Altoona, Garden Heights, and Lakemont Terrace. Rather than follow mountaintops, trails tended to go along river terraces, above flood levels, or well drained ridges in wide valleys. located between Claire's and H&M, in former Charlotte Russe store. Today renamed Lakemont Park, it remains a thriving amusement park with modern buildings and rides and other attractions. Murphy's store in … The growth of Hollidaysburg as an important river port and transfer junction between the Pennsylvania Canal and the Portage Railroad in the 1830's spurred interest in the formation of a separate county of which Hollidaysburg would be the center. The park originally depended on the Altoona and Logan Township Electric Railway which began operation a few years earlier to bring park goers to the site by trolley cars. Previously, the two, along with a younger brother John, had resided along the west branch of the Susquehanna River. Did you know that this area once was part of Huntington County?

Bass Preamp Tagboard, Body Positive Instagram Accounts, Is Mitsubishi Dying, Symbolic Meaning Of Copper, Sony Xperia 10 2, Strange Ways Pins, Men's Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts Long Sleeve, Clifton Prep School Term Dates, Japanese Street Fashion Styles,